Ingrid S. Leverett
Ms. Leverett, most recently an attorney with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, specializes in the representation of policyholders in insurance bad faith and insurance coverage matters. She is personally and professionally committed to protecting policyholders against insurance carriers that refuse to provide bargained-for coverage.
Ms. Leverett, a former Fulbright scholar, has over 20 years of experience in a broad range of legal practice areas at large national law firms, in-house and in the federal judiciary. Her expertise includes:
• Two decades of handling complex civil litigation matters in federal and state courts,
• Over four years as an intellectual property litigation and transactional attorney,
• Four years managing litigation in-house and counseling start-ups and
• Five years representing corporations and officers in securities litigation, white collar matters and internal investigations
Ms. Leverett also served as Supervisor of the Civil Unit at the Office of Staff Attorneys for the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, where she oversaw the work of a 12-attorney unit that advised and made presentations to regular three-judge federal appellate panels.
Ms. Leverett makes it her mission to give her clients the benefit of her wide-ranging experience. She uses her seasoned advocacy skills to persuade insurance carriers and, where necessary, courts, that the law and the facts at hand require giving Pillsbury & Levinson's clients the policy benefits that are due them.
• Won dismissal of federal securities class action lawsuit against small corporation after briefing and arguing multiple motions to dismiss.
• Won Rule 11 dismissal of product liability lawsuit against consumer electronics company based on brief Ms. Leverett wholly authored.
• Wrote key section of appellate brief in construction defect case that resulted in judgment for individual clients based on the issue I briefed exceeding $650,000.
• Taught Legal Writing for many years, at Hastings College of the Law and most recently at Santa Clara University School of Law.
• Excelled in Intellectual Property courses at Santa Clara University School of Law; won High Tech Excellence Award 2010-11.
• Expertise in civil and appellate practice
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Bad Faith
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California
- J.D. - 1990
- Honors: Moot Court Board
- Universitat Osnabruck - 1986
- Honors: Fulbright Scholar
- Bryn Mawr College
- A.B. - 1984
- Honors: Berle Memorial Prize in German Literature
- Instructor, Legal Writing and Research, University of California, Hastings School of Law, Moot Court Department, 1996 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Intellectual Property Section, State Bar of California
Past Employment Positions
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, Research Attorney
- United States District Court, Northern District of California, Law Clerk